Monday, May 20, 2013

LLO #3 - Always Buy Multiples

I'm a creature of habit and for as long as I (D) can remember my breakfast has consisted of toast with peanut butter and honey.  Mmmm.  Its just not breakfast without peanut butter.  So I was pleasantly surprised to discover locally made peanut butter is very reasonable, approximately $1 for a 300ml jar versus the imported PB which is $10-$15 per 300ml.  Sure the local stuff has a more o'natural flavour, like the stuff you would get at a health food store in Canada, you have to stir it every time you use it and it certainly doesn't have any sugar in it but it makes me feel like I chose the healthier route and for a fraction of the price of the imported stuff.


For the first few months my shelves were well stocked with PB until one fateful day I went to the supermarket and the PB shelf was gone, not just bare, but gone.  There was no PB to be found anywhere. That day I learned a very important lesson about living overseas:

If you see something that you'll need again, might need again, or even think you might need again ... buy it and buy a bunch.

Last month we found rice crackers for the first time. We bought 20 boxes.  When we explained to the grocery clerk why we were buying so many he just laughed and said another foreigner had been there the day before and bought twice as many.  

After a month or so without my beloved PB J brought me a very sweet present ... American PB!!  It was around $12 for a small jar and I savoured every spoonful.  Last week I was nearing the bottom of the jar ... when we made a great discovery, local PB was back on the shelf.  This time we bought enough jars to last us well into winter!





No comments: