The other day I was proud as punch after "I" called me Handy Manny as I was attempting to repair our busted stroller. Truth be told I was more Red Green with my large roll of duct tape. Truth be told again my repair didn't last and I'm back to the drawing board.
I pulled my tool kit out again after E knocked J's coffee onto our Macbook. Again I wasn't able to repair it (this is becoming an annoying habit) but I thought I looked pretty smart pulling everything apart. J couldn't bear to watch as she thought I was going to blow it up.
Pulling out my minimal tool kit and attempting to fix, repair or patch any number of household problems is just another Life Lesson Overseas. I wish I were a lot more handy but thankfully there are some tasks at which I excel.
For example our fluctuating power grid is perfect for burning out light bulbs so I regularly buy a dozen or so light bulbs to switch out. I also managed to shave the bottom of our guest bathroom door down so it would close. I'm not sure why the previous tenants were comfortable with a bathroom viewable from the living room with a door that wouldn't close. I also killed a few hundred cockroaches and they haven't dared return since our last battle. Although it did take me six months to find a WMD to destroy them.
Other tasks are much beyond my skill level and are best left to the pro's. We had a water surge a few weeks ago and it knocked out our main water pipe. I loved watching the plumber light a phone book on fire so we could melt a plastic pipe to join the old cast iron pipe to the new pvc pipe. Based on the stack of several other burnt plastic pipes I'm guessing he will have to come back within a few months to redo the job again.
I'm thankful for a very affirming wife who is still very impressed when I can program the dvd player and kids who are impressed when I pull out the pliers and duct tape. As Red Green would say, 'If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy" ... or looking like Handy Manny.
I pulled my tool kit out again after E knocked J's coffee onto our Macbook. Again I wasn't able to repair it (this is becoming an annoying habit) but I thought I looked pretty smart pulling everything apart. J couldn't bear to watch as she thought I was going to blow it up.
Pulling out my minimal tool kit and attempting to fix, repair or patch any number of household problems is just another Life Lesson Overseas. I wish I were a lot more handy but thankfully there are some tasks at which I excel.
For example our fluctuating power grid is perfect for burning out light bulbs so I regularly buy a dozen or so light bulbs to switch out. I also managed to shave the bottom of our guest bathroom door down so it would close. I'm not sure why the previous tenants were comfortable with a bathroom viewable from the living room with a door that wouldn't close. I also killed a few hundred cockroaches and they haven't dared return since our last battle. Although it did take me six months to find a WMD to destroy them.
Other tasks are much beyond my skill level and are best left to the pro's. We had a water surge a few weeks ago and it knocked out our main water pipe. I loved watching the plumber light a phone book on fire so we could melt a plastic pipe to join the old cast iron pipe to the new pvc pipe. Based on the stack of several other burnt plastic pipes I'm guessing he will have to come back within a few months to redo the job again.
I'm thankful for a very affirming wife who is still very impressed when I can program the dvd player and kids who are impressed when I pull out the pliers and duct tape. As Red Green would say, 'If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy" ... or looking like Handy Manny.
Preparing the crack open the Macbook
Following the instructions on Youtube carefully
Hmmm looks like it's toast!



No comments:
Post a Comment