Saturday, September 22, 2012

Apartment Shopping

Yesterday while dropping Ava off at school a friend, Lee, suggested we visit a nearby apartment building as she had heard there was a three bedroom apartment coming up for rent.  Even though the building was rather run down we thought we would take a look as it was in a fantastic location between Ava's school and Izzy & Eden's preschool.  

Lee introduced us to Osama, the apartment guard, and translated a brief conversation for us. There was an apartment for rent but the people were still sleeping so we should come back in an hour.  An hour later we came back but Osama apologized, the renters were still sleeping.  So he told us to come back again in another hour. Of course, that is what we thought he meant as he only spoke Arabic and our understanding is rather limited.  An hour later we came back for the third time, again the renters were still sleeping so Osama and his wife prepared tea for us while Izzy and Eden ran around with Osama's two year old daughter Hanen.  Jenn bought some juice boxes for the girls to share and it must have been the first time Hanen had seen a juice box as she drank very little and was much happier to spray it on herself and rub it around her face and spray some on her hands to rub it all over her baby brother's head.  After tea Osama apologized that the renters were still sleeping and we should come back in another hour.

After picking up Ava from school we headed over to Osama's apartment for the fourth time ... and again Osama said the renters were still sleeping but we should stay for tea as it would only be another ten minutes or so.  By this time we were starting to wonder if we would ever see the place.  I was still optimistic that we would so Ava and I stayed behind while everyone else headed home.  After two more cups of tea when Osama and I had completely exhausted our limited ability to communicate I again asked, 'How much longer?'  To which he assured me, no problem, only ten more minutes. By this time I figured it was time to pull the plug and started to leave.  I thanked Osama profusely for the tea and tried to kindly turn down his invitation to wait only a few more minutes. I only made it about half a block before Osama came running up, 'Okay okay, we go see the apartment now.'

As we finally walked into the apartment I realized why Osama had kept postponing our visit ... the renters weren't sleeping, they were cleaning!  At least three ladies were on their hands and knees cleaning every nook and cranny while several men and children watched tv in the corner.  While they were incredibly friendly and apologetic I can only imagine what the apartment would have looked like had we seen it six hours earlier. Alberta Health would not have been impressed.  I thanked them and Osama profusely but needless to say our apartment search is still ongoing.

While the apartment was a flop it was a fantastic day learning the culture, a little Arabic and just sitting around drinking lots of tea!

No comments: