Friday, July 19, 2013

Gratitude

I once heard a speaker claim that most of our destructive choices can be traced back to one line of thought,

"I'll be happy when ..."

We can fill in the blank with just about anything.  I'll be happy when I have a bigger house, a newer car, a better job, I lose ten pounds, I have the iphone 5 ... the list goes on.  I've certainly been guilty of these thoughts, especially the last one : )

The speaker went on to say that one of the best tools to defeat this line of thought is having an attitude of gratitude.

We find everyday here is an exercise in sanctification as we find another thing to be grateful for.

I have a friend who has been parking cars on our street for the past thirty three years.   After high school he needed a job so he began parking, washing and guarding cars on our street.  On average he receives $0.50 - $1 for every car.  He thought it would be a temporary gig, and thirty three years later he is still here.

Last week I asked how he was and he said he was as happy as he's ever been.  Why?  He was going to send his family on a vacation to the nearby sea.  When was he leaving?  Then he laughed, no he wasn't leaving, he couldn't leave his work, he was sending his kids, wife, parents and in laws on a vacation by themselves while he continued to park cars.  He said he would never take a vacation ... ever.

We have three doormen at our building.  They guard, clean and provide services such as getting us water and paying our utility bills.  They even free us from the elevator when the power goes off.  They are also great language helpers for us.  They work on average 12 hours a day, seven days a week, with one day off a month and no holidays.  When someone is sick the other two work an extra six hours.

When I ask anyone what they are doing for the summer they look at me somewhat surprised and reply, 'Working of course.'  What are their children doing for the summer?  Watching tv and sleeping all day while they wait for their parents to come home (some of those left at home alone are preschoolers).  That is, those that have parents or have parents that have work to go to so they don't have to beg on the streets.

The other day we were visiting with some of our friends that live on the street.  J noticed that one of the ladies only had her young son with her and her six year old daughter was absent.  Upon inquiring where she was, her mom said she was 'working' in front of a store down the road.  It was the first time that these friends, who beg on our street  daily, referred to the begging of the children as 'working'.  It broke our hearts.

Just having a job is a privilege here and having a weekend off is a privilege that few receive.

Every day gives us another opportunity to be grateful!




1 comment:

Jen said...

Wow. Thanks for the extra challenge to be grateful where I am. I we will remember the GF Food. Emma says it most nights "help Izzy to find food to eat" Love you guys.