A couple of weeks ago we needed to go to the Canadian Embassy to get a letter stamped for one step in the multi-step process of getting our local driver's licence. We were pretty excited about going to the embassy. Would they have Tim Hortons brewing and Anne of Green Gables on the big screen? Mountie costumes for the kids to try on? A little Celine Dion softly playing in the background? Maple candy, plaid shirts, duct tape and all sizes of Canadian flags for purchase?
You can imagine our disappointment when all we saw as we walked through security was a simple, small waiting room devoid of much pomp and circumstance save three pictures on the wall of the Prime Minister, the Governor General and the Queen. We were surprised to see our first ever blue bin here. It was, of course, being used for garbage, but still a sight for sore eyes. I realized the other day that I am still very Canadian. I still often reach for the seat belt when I hop in a taxi and as I walk through the trash filled streets I insist that the girls hold onto their garbage at least until we find a fair size heap of garbage to toss it on top of. For some reason this seems like an acceptable option in my mind when there are no bins!
The embassy also had another surprise, a small drinking fountain. As Izzy had a doctor's appointment near the embassy she was on the only one of our girls with us at the time. Once she locked her baby blues on that fountain there was no stopping her.
'What is that?' she asked. 'It is a fountain' I answered, still nursing my disappointment over the lack of Tim Hortons. She then proceeded to walk over to it, press the button and stick her hands in. I gently reminded her it was for drinking. "For drinking?" she exclaimed (quite loudly as her ears were plugged with a cold) "Where are the cups?". "There are no cups, just put your mouth in." I calmly responded. Her look switched from utter confusion to pure joy as she stuck her little face into the stream of water (which I still kind of doubt was potable). For the rest of our wait she repeatedly came up to me and asked if she could try 'that water thing' again!
Aside from our trip to the embassy, we also had a chance to show our Canadian pride as we celebrated Canada Day this year. We had an unexpected day off class that day so we used it as an excuse to party! We taught the girls 'O Canada', made red and white, gluten free cupcakes, played pin the maple leaf of the Canadian flag and watched last year's fireworks projected on our wall while eating popcorn.
As we raise our TCK (third culture kids), we are continually looking for a balance between establishing an identity of some sort with their birth country and yet encouraging them to be immersed in the culture within in which they live. We know some pretty cool adult TCK's. Any of you have any tips for us?!?!
You can imagine our disappointment when all we saw as we walked through security was a simple, small waiting room devoid of much pomp and circumstance save three pictures on the wall of the Prime Minister, the Governor General and the Queen. We were surprised to see our first ever blue bin here. It was, of course, being used for garbage, but still a sight for sore eyes. I realized the other day that I am still very Canadian. I still often reach for the seat belt when I hop in a taxi and as I walk through the trash filled streets I insist that the girls hold onto their garbage at least until we find a fair size heap of garbage to toss it on top of. For some reason this seems like an acceptable option in my mind when there are no bins!
The embassy also had another surprise, a small drinking fountain. As Izzy had a doctor's appointment near the embassy she was on the only one of our girls with us at the time. Once she locked her baby blues on that fountain there was no stopping her.
'What is that?' she asked. 'It is a fountain' I answered, still nursing my disappointment over the lack of Tim Hortons. She then proceeded to walk over to it, press the button and stick her hands in. I gently reminded her it was for drinking. "For drinking?" she exclaimed (quite loudly as her ears were plugged with a cold) "Where are the cups?". "There are no cups, just put your mouth in." I calmly responded. Her look switched from utter confusion to pure joy as she stuck her little face into the stream of water (which I still kind of doubt was potable). For the rest of our wait she repeatedly came up to me and asked if she could try 'that water thing' again!
Aside from our trip to the embassy, we also had a chance to show our Canadian pride as we celebrated Canada Day this year. We had an unexpected day off class that day so we used it as an excuse to party! We taught the girls 'O Canada', made red and white, gluten free cupcakes, played pin the maple leaf of the Canadian flag and watched last year's fireworks projected on our wall while eating popcorn.
As we raise our TCK (third culture kids), we are continually looking for a balance between establishing an identity of some sort with their birth country and yet encouraging them to be immersed in the culture within in which they live. We know some pretty cool adult TCK's. Any of you have any tips for us?!?!
.jpg)
.jpg)
2 comments:
Looks like a good time. We had the privilege of celebrating Canada Day and "4th" as we were in the States. Miss you guys. The boys talk to Dad every night about you and "the girl cousins"
Thanks for sharing guys! Hugs to all of you.
Post a Comment